Diamond Jubilee Library

By: Rusiraj Pattanayak
~ History of  Diamond Jubilee Library ~
The real Public Library development was started from Diamond Jubilee Library, #Kendrapara (1897) and Diamond Jubilee Library, #Baripada (1898).
Thereafter Satchidananda Library, #Bamanda (1919), Rama Krishna Mission Library, Puri (1925), Raghunandan Library, Puri (1920), Kanika Library, Ravenshaw Collebe, Cuttack; UpendraBhanja Library, #Tanarada, #Ganjam (1923), Baideisha Library, #Odogaon (1931), Orissa Secretariate Library (1936), Orissa Assembly Library (1937), Nityananda Pathagara, Panimora, #Sambalpur (1940), Prachi Pathagara, Puri (1947) came up one after another in Odisha. Utkal library Association also appeared as the fostering agency at that time.
Here, we find the second oldest public library in our #Mayurbhanj and come to the point that the public library was started in June, 28,1898 in connection with celebration of #Her #Majestys Diamond Jubilee at Baripada.
It has been clearly written that a salute of 60 guns was fired in the morning, some prisoners were released and sentences of long term prisoners were reduced. More than 1500 poor were sumptuously fed and clothes were distributed to them. Pujas were offered in the temples.
In the afternoon,the foundation stone of the Diamond Jubilee Library was laid by the Maharaja H.H. #Sri #Ram #Chandra #BhanjdeoIn the evening the king delivered a lecture on Queen’s Rule & thereafter the Durbar was Concluded. 
At last The Diamond Jubilee Library was opened in January, 1899. On 31st March, 1899, it had 2245 books then raised to 2545. An indent for 300 volumes more was sent in April,1899. It was first located in the premises of the Judicial Court, the site for the Library building was fixed in the centre of the Baripada town and the work for construction was taken in hand next year.
It was contemplated also to enlarge its sphere and to turn it into an Institution, by storing in it natural curiosities and samples of commercial, industrial and mineral products of the State.
In 1898-1899 it contained books of standard works in English, Literature, History, Biography & Travels, Mathematics, Science, Photoshopy, Encyclopedia Britannica, other books of references, all important classes and Principal works in English, Bengali and Odia Literature.
The Library Building at that time was expected to be an excellent hall with all civilized appurtenances of Tennis court, Billiard Room and Reading Rooms and large compound considered to be pleasure resort for town people.
In 1900 – 1901 , improving and levelling of the site of jubilee Library Hall, began and an amount of Rs 361-10-0 paise was spent on it. The International Library of Favorite Literature Standard Edition was purchased for the Library.For Construction of the #Jubilee #Library Rs.15,689 was spent.
The library was actually held at #Golap #Bag as its New means Present Building was under Construction.
In 1901-1902, The #Superintendent of #Education was chosen as the #Secretary of the Library and the Library was removed to its new and super building known as VICTORIA MEMORIAL INSTITUTE. 

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Scroll to Top